securedvisaheading.gif (4723 bytes)

The Home Trust Secured VISA card is your best chance to get the credit you deserve.

  • Build or re-build your credit, even if you've had credit difficulties in
    the past, or have never had a credit card before! An excellent
    opportunity to establish your credit rating.
  • Virtually everyone is approved.
  • With your new Secured VISA Card, you can:
  • Rent a car.
  • Make purchases over the phone or internet.
  • Plan and go on a vacation.
  • Reserve a hotel room.
  • Access cash anytime, anywhere from over 800,000 ATMs around the world displaying the VISA logo.
HomeTrustVisaCard.gif (13997 bytes)

Everything's easier with a Home Trust VISA card!

How it works

The Home Trust Secured VISA is a credit card that requires a security deposit for eligibility. Your credit
limit is then set at the amount of the deposit. You can put down as little as $1,000. or as much as $10,000.
Your security deposit earns interest*, while your Home Trust VISA card is open and in

If you decide to cancel your card, you can just pay off your outstanding balance, and you'll get your
security deposit - plus interest earned - back from Home Trust. And Home Trust is a Member of Canada
Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC).

The application process is very simple and almost everybody is approved! Of course, if your application is
not approved, your security deposit will be immediately returned to you.

* The current Security Deposit Interest Rate is 2.0%, and is subject to change.

Please note that the Home Trust Secured VISA is not available to residents living in Quebec.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

What is a secured credit card?

A secured credit card is a product in which the security deposit you provide is equal to your credit limit.
It works just like any other credit card. Your deposit will be held in an interest bearing account with
interest (currently 2%) payable annually. You are required to make regular monthly payments over and
above the security deposit because this is not a "prepaid" card.

Why a secured credit card?

The Home Trust Secured VISA will allow you to build or rebuild a solid credit rating. Many people have
been declined by the banks for a credit card due to past bad credit or because they have no credit

Having a credit card is not a luxury anymore, it's a necessity. The Home Trust Secured VISA allows you
to make purchases on-line or by phone, book a flight or rent a car. And VISA is accepted at over 24
million locations worldwide.

How does this help me establish or re-establish my credit?

Home Trust reports your file to the credit bureau on a monthly basis. Your file is updated and your credit
history begins. Only the primary applicant's credit bureau will be updated.

What is the minimum/maximum credit limit?

The minimum credit limit is $1,000 and the maximum is $10,000.

Who qualifies for the program?

Almost everybody who applies (our approval rate is approximately 95%). Applicants must have a source or

Who does not qualify for the program?

People who are currently in bankruptcy or in consumer proposal do not qualify.

How do you apply for a Home Trust Secured VISA?

Fill out an application form and mail it to 145 King Street West, Suite 1910, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 1J8 or
to the PO Box on the application, along with your security deposit. We will not process an application
without the deposit.

What happens if I am declined?

If your application is declined, Home Trust will return your security deposit to you (cheques are not
cashed until the application is approved).

How can I send my deposit?

There are two ways to send your deposit:
1. Attach a cheque (personal or certified), money order or bank draft to your application form and mail
it to Home Trust
2. Send the deposit through Western Union

How do I send funds through Western Union?

To find the location nearest you, call 1-800-325-6000.

At Western Union, you will be given a Quick Collect Payment Form. Fill it out as follows:

Pay to: Home Trust VISA
Province: Ontario
Sender's Account With the Payee Company: 1111

When the funds have been sent, you will be given a "money control number". This number must be
indicated at the bottom of the application form.

Can I fax in my application?

You can only send in your application by fax if you have paid your security deposit through Western Union
and indicated the money control number on your application. The fax number is:

416-360-6693 or 1-877-989-9979.

What if I don't have a chequing account?

We will accept cheques from a third party. You can also send funds through Western Union.

How long does it take to get a card?

The application process takes approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the application and security deposit
are received. If you send guaranteed funds (certified cheque, money order, bank draft or payment by
Western Union), it will take one week less than if you send a personal cheque, as we must wait for
personal cheques to be cleared by the bank.

Do I have to be a Canadian resident to get a Home Trust VISA card?

The card is available to Canadian residents except residents of Quebec.

Is there any way to speed up the process?

There is no real way to speed up the process, however, ensuring that your application is complete will
help. Guaranteed funds will expedite the process by one week because we will not have to wait for the
funds to clear.

Also, if either of the following applies to you, there are documents you can send with your application to
ensure that your file is not delayed:

If you have moved since your last loan/credit request or if you do not have a credit history, send a
copy of your driver's license or a bill that matches your current address
if you have recently been discharged from bankruptcy, attach your certificate of discharge
You may request "rush delivery" to have your card delivered to you by courier for a fee of $39. Please
note that this is only a rush delivery and it will not affect the approval process.

When do I get my deposit back?

Your deposit will be held as long as you have an account with Home Trust. When you close your account,
we will return your deposit, plus earned interest once all purchases and fees have cleared and the
balance is paid.

How can I increase my credit limit?

You can increase the limit on your card by sending additional funds to Home Trust and clearly indicating
that you are requesting a credit line increase. This cannot be done by making an overpayment.

Is there an annual fee?

There is a one-time set-up fee of $39 charged to the first statement. A monthly fee of $7.50 will appear on
subsequent bills. For a secondary card, there is an additional fee of $3 per month.

What is the interest rate?

Most banks charge between 17 and 21%. We charge 19.50% on purchases and 21.50% on cash
advances. Interest is not charged if the balance is paid in full by the statement date. However, for cash
advances, interest is charged from the time the advance is made to the time it is paid off.

Do you have a table showing all the costs associated with this card ?

Yes, click here => Summary of Costs.

Do I have to pay the balance in full each month?

You have to pay at least the minimum payment on the statement. You cannot use your security deposit
to pay off the balance.

How do I make payments?

You can make a payment at any Canadian financial institution that bears the VISA logo (Bank of Montreal
will also accept payments), either in the branch or through PC or telephone banking. If you prefer, you
can mail your cheque or money order directly to Home Trust in the envelope provided to you with your

What if I have an outstanding judgement against me?

If you have an outstanding judgement against you, you may still qualify. In this case, you are required to
submit third party funds. You will also be required to provide written documentation confirming that the
funds you are providing Home Trust are not your own. We will gladly send you the form you need to
submit with your application.

Is the Home Trust VISA card available nationally?

It is available in every province and territory except Quebec.

How old do you have to be to get a credit card?

At least the age of majority in the province/territory where you reside (18 years of age in Ontario,
Alberta, Saskatchewan. Manitoba, Prince Edward Island; 19 years of age in British Columbia, New
Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland/Labrador and the territories).

How much can I spend?

You may make purchases up to the limit of your Home Trust VISA card or you can use your card to make
cash advances at ATMs or at a bank. Your Home Trust VISA card is a revolving line of credit. As you use
your credit card, you are continually borrowing against your line of credit and repaying it. The amount of
credit you have available at any time will vary depending on your current outstanding balance.

I have an existing mortgage with Home Trust, do I need to complete a Secured VISA application?

Although you are an existing Home Trust customer, you are still required to complete a Secured VISA
application and submit it along with a deposit to set up an account. For processing purposes, please
indicate on your application that you have an existing mortgage with Home Trust.

How do I get a Secured VISA application ?

    click here => Secured VISA application or you can fax your request with your return fax number to 250 426 1888.